In 1086, at the time of the Domesday Survey, the manor of Liss probably formed part of the original endowment of the abbey of St. Mary at Winchester. The manor was later known as Liss Abbess, and the Abbess and nuns of Winchester kept the land until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1538. Liss remained crown property until about 1610, and was subsequently held by the Cole, Fitzpatrick, Taylor and Hawkshaw families.
The Church of St. Mary is late Victorian, while the Church of St. Peter at West Liss is largely thirteenth century with only a few later additions.
Liss was primarily an agricultural village but became famous locally during the nineteenth century for the production of peppermint. The mint was grown, distilled and sold at four pence a pint by the Money family.
A local Liss tradition concerns the ceremony of beating the bounds of the Parish. A small boy was traditionally put in the oven of the Flying Bull Inn as the Parish boundary was believed to pass through the kitchen of the inn.
Parking in Liss
Easy parking can be found close the the town centre.
Variety of pubs and places to eat.
Access by Public Transport
Public Bus Services operate to Liss from Petersfield, Guildford and Portsmouth.