Brockenhurst, the only village within the Perambulation of the New Forest whose value in the Domesday survey of 1086 was doubled (to £4.00) when that of many others was reduced, was also the only village mentioned as having a church. St. Nicholas, built upon a mound, may date back to Pagan times. Roman "bricks" and parts of Second and Third Century masonry have been built into the South porch and, in the South wall of the knave, typical herringbone masonry, possibly from an earlier church, can be seen. Both the doorway and the nave show late Norman work.
A service is held each year on the Sunday nearest to Anzac Day by the memorial in the churchyard, commemorating the New Zealand soldiers who died in the 1914-18 war.
The churchyard also contains the grave of Brusher Mills, the snake catcher, a famous local character, his headstone being suitably engraved.
The main attractions of the village are the Ford, running across the end of Brookley Road, the main shopping area, and the cottages, many of which, built by the Morant family who lived at Brockenhurst Park (now demolished and replaced by a modern house) have the letter M incorporated in the woodwork.
St. Saviours' Church was built by Lieutenant-Commander and Mrs. E.W. Walker-Munro, who also enlarged and rebuilt Rhinefield House between 1880 and 1890.
The Parish of Rhinefield was incorporated with that of Brockenhurst by the Local Government Act of 1972.
Parking in Brockenhurst
The main public car park is situated behind the main High Street and has easy access to the villages shops.
There are a variety of pubs and places to eat in the village including tea rooms, restaurants and hotels.
Access by Public Transport
Brockenhurst has a BR Station (service from Southampton and Bournemouth. Public Bus Service operates to Brockenhurst from Southampton, Bournemouth, Salisbury.