13 miles North-West of Winchester, Andover today is a town of about 30,700 people. The town has been in continuous habitation since Saxon times and was granted its first charter in 1175 by King Henry II.
Throughout its history it has been situated on important lines of communication; the ancient Harrow Way passed just north of the town, coaches on the Exeter route stopped here and during the railway age there were stations on North-South and East-West lines.
A planning agreement signed in 1961 with the London County Council has nearly doubled the town's population and brought many new firms to the industrial estates.
Tourist and Other Information Sources
Parking in Andover
Local Tourist Information:
Tourist Information Centre,
Town Mill House,
Telephone: (01264) 324320
Local Information Point
The Chantry Centre,
Telephone: (01264) 352807
Test Valley Borough Council,
Council Offices Beech Hurst,
Telephone: (01264) 364144
Public car park two minutes walk from the Tourist Information Centre, behind high street shops. Main car park Chantry Centre, accessible off Western Avenue, also smaller car parks in George Yard. Town Mill car park (South Street) and off Eastern Avenue. Very limited parking on streets.
Variety of pubs, and places to eat in the town centre and high street including Chantry Shopping Centre.
Access by Public Transport
Andover has BR Station (service from Waterloo, Basingstoke and Salisbury. Public Bus Services operate to Andover from Winchester, Basingstoke, Salisbury, and Newbury.