Thame is managing to retain some of its historic character whilst steadily
expanding. It was first mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1087. In the 13th Century the Parish Church was rebuilt and the boat-shaped market area
made, with a main road that was diverted to run into it. During the Civil War the town was occupied by Royalist and Parliamentarian forces. Oliver
Cromwell's cousin, John Hampden died in what was then the Greyhound Inn in 1643 after the battle of Chalgrove. The wide main street includes houses
and inns dating from the 15th century and a grammar school, Lord Williams's from the 16th century.
The picture on the right shows the prominent Victorian Town Hall. The parish church includes memorials to Lord Williams and his wife and Geoffrey
Dormer who, with two wives, had no less than 25 children.