A brief history of Westbury Manor Westbury Manor Museum was once a 17th century farmhouse on the edge of the small market town of Fareham. Evidence of this was discovered during the restoration of the building in 1988.
Sometime after 1750 Westbury manor was "gentrified". The building was enlarged and a fine Georgian brick facade with typical windows and entrance was added. In the mid 19th century, extensive additions were made to the rear of the building including the stairwell and the elegantly proportioned rooms with window bays. The addition of wings on both sides in the 1860's made Westbury Manor one of the largest and most impressive buildings in West Street.
IWestbury Manor 1932, it was sold to Fareham Urban District Council who used it as the council offices but became redundant when the new civic offices opened in 1974. The future of Westbury Manor was uncertain as the building became increasingly derelict. After intensive lobbying, a funding partnership between Fareham Borough Council and Hampshire County Council was set up to convert Westbury Manor into a Museum for the Borough. Westbury Manor Museum opened in 1990.