The village is best known by its connection with the Liberty family. Sir Arthur Liberty, as Lord of the Manor, did much to improve the village at
the turn of the century including new cottages, providing fresh water, a village green, cricket pitch, football ground and village hall. His
descendants still live at The Lee and the entrance to their home is graced by a two ton figurehead of Admiral Lord Howe taken from the Navy's last
wooden warship, HMS Impregnable. In 1921 the ship was broken up and used for the mock Tudor extension to Liberty's store in London.